Volunteering at an academic medical center allows you to interact with visitors, patients and staff associated with one of the Southeast's premier health care systems.
Which Volunteer Program Should I Apply For?
UF Health Shands Hospital has five different volunteer programs, each with its own application process. Please click on the links below for more information:
- Degree Seeking Volunteers - For people 18+ years old who are or will be enrolled in college, technical school, or a post-graduate program.
- Non Degree Seeking Volunteers - For people who are finished with their formal education.
- Pet Therapy Volunteers - For people with a registered Pet Therapy Dog.
- Dental Volunteers
- VolunTEEN - For 14-17 year old students.
Applications and Acceptance
We accept applications for most volunteer roles at the beginning of each semester (January, May and August). Volunteers are not accepted for court-ordered or community service hours.
Applications for the following are accepted year-round:
- The Gift Shop
- Alz’s Place
- Meals on Wheels
- The Senior Recreation Center
- Ronald McDonald Family Room
Degree-Seeking volunteers are asked to commit to one full semester for a three hour shift once a week. Student volunteers are allowed two absences during each semester. Those who have more than two absences during a semester must make up any additional absences.
Non-Degree Seeking volunteers are asked for a six month commitment for a three hour shift once a week.