UF Health Shands Hospital Patient Guide: About Gainesville
Welcome to Gainesville! Gainesville is the home of UF and offers many cultural and fun activities. Sixty-five percent of the county includes a wilderness of forests, scenic lakes and wetlands.
UF Health Shands, an academic medical center affiliated with the University of Florida College of Medicine, cares for patients from around the world. Physicians practicing at UF Health Shands Hospital are UF College of Medicine faculty. Gainesville is located in north-central portion of Florida. Yearly temperatures average a moderate 71 degrees with summer highs in the 90s and winter lows in the 40s. Gainesville offers a variety of fun events and is within driving distance from several amusement parks, lakes, and fresh water springs.
Below is a list of some activities in Gainesville you and your family might enjoy while you are visiting UF Health.
Become Familiar With Gainesville
- City of Gainesville
- Local News: The Gainesville Sun
- Gainesville/Alachua County Visitors & Convention Bureau
- Visitor Information and Leisure Activities
- Gainesville Connect
Sports and Recreation
- University of Florida Gator Athletics
- City of Gainesville Parks & Recreation
- Gainesville Cycling Club
- North Central Florida State Parks
- Florida Springs
- Gainesville Community Playhouse
- Hippodrome State Theater
- Phillips Center for the Performing Arts
- Dance Alive!
- Gainesville Chamber Orchestra
- Friends of Jazz & Blues