Clinical Transplant-Related Long-term Outcomes of Alternative Donor Allogeneic Transplantation (BMT CTN 1702))


The purpose of this study is to determine if a search strategy of searching for an HLA-matched unrelated donor for allogeneic transplantation if possible then an alternative donor if an HLA-matched unrelated donor is not available versus proceeding directly to an alternative donor transplant will result in better survival for allogeneic transplant recipients within 2 years after study enrollment.


  • Ages: Child, adult, older adult
  • Sexes: All
  • Accepts healthy volunteers?: No

For additional eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.


The primary comparison for the interventional study will be between two arms based on biologic assignment, analyzed on an intention-to-treat basis: Arm 1: Patients who are Very Likely to find a matched unrelated donor (MUD), defined as having a >90% chance of finding an 8/8 HLA-matched unrelated donor, for whom a fully matched unrelated donor will be pursued; and Arm 2: Patients who are Very Unlikely to find a MUD, defined as having a <10% chance of finding an 8/8 HLA-matched unrelated donor, for whom a haploidentical, cord blood, or mismatched unrelated donor transplant will be pursued.

Patients with a less likely chance of finding a MUD, i.e., those not falling into the other two groups (a 26% chance), will be enrolled onto the observational component of the study and analyzed for all relevant endpoints but will not be included in the primary comparison.

Contact the study team

Additional eligibility criteria and study procedure details can be explained by the study team. Please call or email:

Jenny Vogel
Phone: 763.406.8691


18 and under
18 to 65
65 and over




Aplastic anemia, Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), Acute myeloid leukemia, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Sickle cell disease

Principal Investigator

Stephanie Lee, MD, MPH



Contact Information


Be an Informed Participant

Before deciding to participate in a research study, take time to learn about clinical research, how it's conducted and your rights as a research participant. Following are some helpful resources from independent sources. Always remember that a clinical research study is research, not treatment.

Know Who to Contact

  • Eligibility: For questions about a specific study and who is eligible to participate, call or email the contact person listed for that study.
  • Your Rights: For questions about your rights as a research participant, contact the UF Institutional Review Boards at 352-273-9600.
  • Feedback: For general questions or feedback about study listings, email the UF Clinical and Translational Science Institute at

Other Resources

  • HealthStreet: Health-focused services, classes and events, and opportunities to participate in research.
  • Join a national registry of volunteers willing to be contacted about research studies.

For Research Teams