Developmental milestones record - 2 years
Growth milestones for children - 2 years; Normal childhood growth milestones - 2 years; Childhood growth milestones - 2 years
Physical and motor skill markers:
- Able to turn a door knob.
- Can look through a book turning one page at a time.
- Can build a tower of 6 to 7 cubes.
- Can kick a ball without losing balance.
- Can pick up objects while standing, without losing balance. (This often occurs by 15 months. It is a cause for concern if not seen by 2 years.)
- Can run with better coordination. (May still have a wide stance.)
- May be ready for toilet training.
- Should have the first 16 teeth, but the actual number of teeth can vary widely.
- At 24 months, will reach about half final adult height.
Sensory and cognitive markers:
- Able to put on simple clothes without help. (The child is often better at removing clothes than putting them on.)
- Able to communicate needs such as thirst, hunger, need to go to the bathroom.
- Can organize phrases of 2 to 3 words.
- Can understand 2-step command such as, "Give me the ball and then get your shoes."
- Has increased attention span.
- Vision is fully developed.
- Vocabulary has increased to about 50 to 300 words, but healthy children's vocabulary can vary widely.
- Allow the child to help around the house and take part in the daily family chores.
- Encourage active play and provide enough space for healthy physical activity.
- Encourage play that involves building and creativity.
- Provide safe copies of adult tools and equipment. Many children like to mimic activities such as cutting the grass or sweeping the floor.
- Read to the child.
- Try to avoid television watching at this age (recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics).
- Control both the content and quantity of television viewing. Limit screen time to less than 3 hours per day. One hour or less is better. Avoid programming with violent content. Redirect the child to reading or play activities.
- Control the type of games the child plays.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Important milestones: your child by two years. www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/milestones-2yr.html. Updated December 9, 2019. Accessed March 18, 2020.
Carter RG, Feigelman S. The second year. In: Kliegman RM, St. Geme JW, Blum NJ, Shah SS, Tasker RC, Wilson KM, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 21st ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2020:chap 23.
Reimschisel T. Global developmental delay and regression. In: Daroff RB, Jankovic J, Mazziotta JC, Pomeroy SL, eds. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 8.