Please note, patient visitors will be limited to no more than one for the patient’s entire hospital stay or visit. Children under the age of 18 will no longer be allowed as visitors. For more information on our ongoing response to COVID-19 in Gainesville, Jacksonville, and Central Florida, visit our coronavirus website.Click to learn more
Volunteering at an academic medical center allows you to interact with visitors, patients and staff associated with one of the Southeast's premier health care systems.
Which Volunteer Program Should I Apply For?
UF Health Shands Hospital has five different volunteer programs, each with its own application process. Please click on the links below for more information:
- Degree Seeking Volunteers - For people 18+ years old who are or will be enrolled in college, technical school, or a post-graduate program.
- Non Degree Seeking Volunteers - For people who are finished with their formal education.
- Pet Therapy Volunteers - For people with a registered Pet Therapy Dog.
- Dental Volunteers
- VolunTEEN - For 14-17 year old students.
Applications and Acceptance
We accept applications for most volunteer roles at the beginning of each semester (January, May and August). Volunteers are not accepted for court-ordered or community service hours.
Applications for the following are accepted year-round:
- The Gift Shop
- Alz’s Place
- Meals on Wheels
- The Senior Recreation Center
- Ronald McDonald Family Room
Degree-Seeking volunteers are asked to commit to one full semester for a three hour shift once a week. Student volunteers are allowed two absences during each semester. Those who have more than two absences during a semester must make up any additional absences.
Non-Degree Seeking volunteers are asked for a six month commitment for a three hour shift once a week.