Speech Language Pathology
Licensed and certified speech-language pathologists use formal and informal assessments and tests, as well as specialized equipment and instruments, to diagnose the nature and extent of impairment and to record and analyze speech, language, cognitive, and swallowing irregularities. Treatment is initiated after the development of an individualized plan of care, tailored to each patient's needs.
- Skilled dysphagia diagnostics completed using Rehab Barium Swallow studies (motion x-ray evaluation of dysphagia)
- Electrical stimulation for the treatment of dysphagia
- McNeill Dysphagia Therapy Program
- Oral resistance exercises using biofeedback with the Iowa Oral Performance Instrument
- Use of a respiratory manometer, incentive spirometers, and respiratory muscle strengthening devices including the EMST 150
- Facilitating trach progression to decannulation
- NDŌʜᴅ® Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- State and nationally certified Masters and PhD level clinicians
- Therapists with specialized skills for brain injury behavioral management and cognitive rehabilitation
- Therapist skilled to use Supported Conversation for Aphasia (SCA) and lead an active community aphasia support group
- Special certifications to use electrical stimulation and McNeill Dysphagia Therapy Program
All UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital speech pathologists are all accredited through the American Speech-Language Hearing Association.