UF Health Shands Hospital Outpatient Departments (HOPD) Information and FAQ
UF Health has many locations that are owned and operated by UF Health Shands Hospital. These locations are licensed and regulated as part of the hospital and are called Hospital Outpatient Departments (HOPDs), or Provider-Based Departments. This is common in large health care systems. HOPDs can be located up to 35 miles away from the main hospital campus and are licensed and regulated as part of the hospital in compliance with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and The Joint Commission.
How You Are Charged For Your Care
Because services are provided in a department of the hospital, patients will see two sets of charges on their combined UF Health statement:
- A hospital charge referred to as a facility fee or technical fee;
- A physician or service provider charge referred to as a professional fee.
Most health plans, including Medicare, have distinct benefits when services are provided at a HOPD. Some patients may have to pay a higher cost because a portion of the billed service is being charged as a hospital charge with a facility fee. We recommend patients review their insurance benefits or contact their insurance provider to determine what the insurance policy will pay and what out-of-pocket expenses they may incur based on the location of the services provided.
UF Health HOPD Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a facility fee?
HOPDs and Provider-Based Departments charge facility fees to cover the higher costs of operating these departments in compliance with the requirements of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and The Joint Commission. This fee is for costs associated with your visit, including supplies, the services of nurses, therapists, social workers, pharmacists, technicians and other clinical and clerical staff, as well as the cost of training health care professionals at our facility.
- Will my appointment be different at a Provider Based Departments?
No. Patients will continue to receive excellent quality care with their physician and other medical professionals. Scheduling appointments and tests will be handled in a seamless manner.
- Are there UF Health physician pracrtices that do not charge facility fees?
Yes. Many UF Health physician practices are not operated as hospital outpatient departments and do not charge facility fees.
UF Health Shands Hospital Outpatient Departments List
- UF Health Shands Hospital
- UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital
- UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital
- UF Health Heart & Vascular Hospital
- UF Health Neuromedicine Hospital
- UF Health Children’s Surgical Center
- UF Health Diabetes Education and Nutrition
- UF Health Dialysis Center
- UF Health Endoscopy Center
- UF Health Florida Surgical Center
- UF Health Hearing Center – The Oaks
- UF Health Infusion Center – Medical Plaza
- UF Health Emergency Center – Kanapaha
- UF Health Medical Lab – Rocky Point
- UF Health Pain Medicine – Ayers
- UF Health Shands Presurgical Center
- UF Health Pulmonary Diagnostic Center – Medical Plaza
- UF Health Radiation Oncology – Davis Cancer Pavilion
- UF Health Radiology – Medical Plaza
- UF Health Rehab Center – OSMI
- UF Health Rehab Center for Kids – Magnolia Parke
- UF Health Rehab Center - Hand and Upper Extremity – OSMI
- UF Health Rehab Center – Norman Fixel Institute for Neurollogical Dissorders
- UF Health Rehab Center – Magnolia Parke
- UF Health Rehab Center – Medical Plaza
- UF Health Rehab Center – Hailr Plantation
- UF Health Rehab Center – OSMI
- UF Health Sleep Center – Magnolia Parke
- UF Health Shands Emergency Center – Springhill
- UF Health Women’s and Diagnostic Imaging – Springhill
- UF Health Wound Care and Hypoerbaric Center at Magnolia Parke