The UF Health Lung Transplant Program continues to grow in volume, decrease wait times and improve patient outcomes. We strive to provide the highest-quality care for our adult and pediatric lung transplant patients.
- Lung transplants are performed at the UF Health Heart & Vascular Hospital, with an ICU dedicated to thoracic surgery patients.
- Pre-transplant appointments are held at the UF Heart & Vascular Hospital, where patients will see the surgeon and pulmonary physician together.
- Pre-transplant appointments are held in three- to four-day blocks.
- Our dedicated lung intensive care unit combines multidisciplinary expertise and meets the unique needs of our patients, offering improved efficiencies and a welcoming, accessible design.
XVIVO Lung Perfusion
- UF Health offers an innovative technology to increase the pool of available donor lungs.
- This technique helps improve the viability of donated lungs, shortening the time for a transplant and reducing the number of patient deaths while on the waitlist.
- Since UF Health obtained the system, we have successfully transplanted 11 patients using XVIVO technology.
Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
- UF Health offers a team of experts in the use of artificial lung technology as a bridge to transplant and a bridge to recovery after transplant. This technology prevents deaths of patients on the waitlist and offers support for those patients with a rapidly deteriorating respiratory condition.
- Our multidisciplinary ECMO team includes a devoted group of physicians, surgeons, nurses, respiratory therapists, critical care pharmacists, critical care physicians and occupational therapists.
- We are an Extracorporeal Life Support Organization, or ELSO, Center of Excellence.
Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
- We are one of a small number of centers in Florida to offer LVRS to patients with severe emphysema.
- This technique removes the most diseased part of lung tissue, reducing the size of a hyperinflated lung.
- The surgery improves breathing, quality of life and longevity for many patients suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, especially certain types of emphysema.
Cystic Fibrosis Pediatric-to-Adult Transition Program
- We offer a pediatric-to-adult transition program for adolescents suffering from cystic fibrosis, or CF, so they can smoothly transition to a team of physicians who specialize in treating adults with the condition.
- Our CF physicians work closely with team members from the UF Health Lung Transplant Program to evaluate and determine if and when a CF patient may benefit from a transplant.
Donor Lung Resizing
- Donor lung size is reviewed carefully to optimize matching to a prospective recipient.
- Many donor lungs are not an ideal match for smaller recipients because of their size.
- We can provide advanced techniques, such as lung volume reduction and lobar transplantation, alleviating the burden of wait times for a transplant for patients with smaller statures.
To obtain a copy of your medical records from UF Health Lung Transplant - Heart and Vascular Hospital, please contact (352) 265-8940.
Pay your billconsult our billing section.
Shands hospitals and UF Physician practices accept insurance from numerous providers, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, CIGNA, Humana, Capital Health, United Healthcare, Medicaid, and state and government services. For a full list of accepted plans visit our Insurance / Billing page.
Insurance acceptance varies between physicians and locations and is subject to change. To confirm that a specific physician will accept your insurance, please contact the practice using the telephone numbers listed at the top of the page. A representative will be happy to assist you.
Financial AssistancePatients who lack insurance coverage or are unable to pay their portion of the healthcare services they receive may qualify for financial assistance based upon their income level.
UF Health is tobacco-free
Help us maintain our strong commitment to patients and to promoting good health in our communities: please don't smoke, chew tobacco or use electronic cigarettes on UF Health-owned or -operated properties. Thank you.