- Fees are generally 30 to 50 percent less than in private practice.
- Patients are pre-screened to ensure their dental needs are compatible with educational needs.
- Dental students perform care, supervised by faculty members.
- To apply for a screening appointment, download the patient pre-screening application (PDF) to print out, complete and mail to us or call 352-273-9097 for a mailed application.
How to Become a Patient in the D.M.D. Student Dental Center
- There is a $30 fee for the screening appointment. The fee covers the cost of the limited oral exam and X-rays. The screening is completed by a faculty member who selects patients whose needs match the educational needs of our students.
- The screening does not guarantee your acceptance as a patient.
- If you have children, please note you can't bring them into the clinic area with you during a screening appointment and they can't be left unattended in waiting areas.
Patient selection and appointments
- Please complete the patient pre-screening application and mail it back to us. Accepted applicants will be contacted by an appointment coordinator.
- Patient selection is based on matching the applicant's needs to the student dentist skill level.
- Students need to treat patients who need comprehensive (all-inclusive) dental services and need procedures that range from simple to moderately difficult: a combination of dental cleanings, fillings, simple extractions/root canals, crowns, bridges, and/or dentures.
- If you are screened and not selected as a patient we will notify you by mail.
- Selected patients must commit to at least two three-hour appointments each month until the treatment plan is completed or the patient is referred to another dentist.
- D.M.D. Student Dental Center fees are generally 30 to 50 percent less than in private practice. Patients are required to pay for routine care at each appointment. For extensive treatment, such as crowns or dentures, payment plans may be arranged.
- Screening fees are non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the screening appointment.
- If you have an outstanding balance with any UF College of Dentistry center, you will not be considered for a screening appointment.
- The college does not provide free dental care.
Other important points
- If you are screened and not selected for treatment with the D.M.D. Student Dental Center, you may be referred to the college's Faculty Practice, one of our residency care centers, or be advised to contact a private practice dentist.
- For children younger than 13, contact Pediatric (Children's) Dental Center at 352-273-7643.
- For dental emergencies, including pain, swelling and/or fever, contact our Student Oral Surgery Clinic at 352-273-6705 for information about emergency dental services, or seek care at your nearest hospital emergency department.
Reduced-Fee Dental Care
UF College of Dentistry students and faculty participate in programs like the We Care Physicians Network. We Care is a free program for Alachua County residents who meet specific criteria:
- Have no dental insurance
- Are at least 150% below the federal poverty level
- Willing to go through an extensive in-person financial eligibility process
- For more information, call 352-334-7926.
Other options you may want to try include:
- Clinical Trials
- Search engine of "safety net" clinics
- Federally funded clinics that provide primary care, prescriptions and other health care; some have dental clinics with fees based on your ability to pay.
Conditions & Services
- Dental care - adult
- Dental x-rays
- Root canal
- Tooth Extractions
To obtain a copy of your medical records from DMD Student General Dentistry, please contact 1-800-633-3953.
Pay your bill
Please have your billing statement along with your debit / credit card or bank account information. Your account number is located in the top righthand corner of your statement.
The UF College of Dentistry dental centers in Gainesville, Hialeah, Naples, St. Petersburg and Wildlight accept a variety of Group Insurance and Medicaid and Managed Care insurance plans. Please visit our Accepted Insurances page for information on accepted insurance for each of our statewide dental clinics. If you have a different dental insurance, payment is required at the time of service. However, we can assist you in filing for reimbursement from your insurance company by providing a dental claim form.
UF Health is tobacco-free
Help us maintain our strong commitment to patients and to promoting good health in our communities: please don't smoke, chew tobacco or use electronic cigarettes on UF Health-owned or -operated properties. Thank you.