Personal Pet Visitation
Please note, patient visitors will be limited to no more than one for the patient’s entire hospital stay or visit. Children under the age of 18 will no longer be allowed as visitors. For more information on our ongoing response to COVID-19 in Gainesville, Jacksonville, and Central Florida, visit our coronavirus website.Click to learn more
At UF Health we understand that pets are an important part of our lives and our healing. For our long-term patients we provide an opportunity to include personal pet visitations with dogs as part of the hospital stay because we know that sometimes a visit from our favorite dog is just what the doctor ordered.
Personal pet visitation allows for the patient’s own dog to visit him/her in the hospital, while making sure we maintain the health of our pet therapy volunteers and our patients. Requirements for personal pet visitation include:
- Provide proof of dog’s vaccination records to volunteer services.
- Handler must have owned the dog for a minimum of 6 months.
- Personal pet visitations are not allowed for patients in an ICU, on precautions or who is immunocompromised.
- Dog must be bathed within 24 hours prior to the visit.
- A personal pet may ONLY visit his/her owner. No other patients.
- The dog will be supervised and transported in a carrier or on a leash. The dog shall be maintained on a leash at all times.
- The person bringing the dog in to visit the patient is responsible for the animal and must remain with the dog during the entire visit.
- Clean-up is the responsibility of the pet handler.
- Any dog becoming disruptive will be removed from the facility.
- Personal pet visitation is cleared in advance so the proper areas are notified.
- Personal pet visitation is allowed between 9am-9pm; overnight visits are not permitted.
To schedule a personal pet visitation, complete the personal pet application (PDF) and return it to volunteer services along with the dog’s vaccination records.
Once the visit has been cleared you will be given a signed copy of the application as well as a pet visitation badge to wear during the visit.
If you would like additional information, please call Volunteer Services at 352-265-0360.