Julia L Close, M.D. - Research & Publications
- Markham MJ, George TJ Jr, Close JL. Fellowship engagement in hematology/oncology professionalism training. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Apr 10;32(11):1164-6.
- George TJ Jr, Laplant KD, Walden EO, Davis AB, Riggs CE, Close JL, George SN, Lynch JW. Managing cetuximab hypersensitivity-infusion reactions: incidence, risk factors, prevention, and retreatment. J Support Oncol. 2010 Mar-Apr;8(2):72-7.
- Close JL, Liu J, Gumuscu B, Reh TA. Epidermal growth factor receptor expression regulates proliferation in the postnatal rat retina. Glia. 2006 Aug 1;54(2):94-104.
- Close JL, Gumuscu B, Reh TA. Retinal neurons regulate proliferation of postnatal progenitors and M and uuml;ller glia in the rat retina via TGF beta signaling. Development. 2005 Jul;132(13):3015-26.
- Markham M, Black E, Close J, Cooper L, Lombard G, Meyer L, White C, Stalvey C. Mock Page: Standardized Patient Case. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2015. Available from https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10210http://dx.doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10210.
- Duff J, Daily K, Close J. Breast Cancer Instructional Module. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2015. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10023 http://dx.doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10023
- Dr. Close's research interest is in optimizing education for learners at all levels, with a focus on Graduate Medical Education, specifically fellows. She has developed both local and national curriculum. Local efforts include incorporating team based learning and virtual patients into the fellowship oncology curriculum. At a national level, she was one of 3 editors representing the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) in the development and improvement of a collaborative curriculum between the European Society for Medical Society (ESMO) and ASCO, to be used for oncology programs outside the United States. She is also interested in providing education to improve the physician and patient interaction at the end of life, and is currently pursuing research into this area. Finally, she is interested in preventing burn-out in physicians-in-training, and has recently worked with colleagues to expand the resiliency curriculum within the fellowship program.