Please note, patient visitors will be limited to no more than one for the patient’s entire hospital stay or visit. Children under the age of 18 will no longer be allowed as visitors. For more information on our ongoing response to COVID-19 in Gainesville, Jacksonville, and Central Florida, visit our coronavirus website.Click to learn more
Hip or knee replacement - after - what to ask your doctor
We are proud to care for patients at UF Health Shands Hospital, recently recognized for high performing knee replacement care by U.S. News & World Report.
You had surgery to get a new hip or knee joint while you were in the hospital.
Below are some questions you may want to ask your health care provider to help you take care of your new joint.
What to ask your doctor after hip or knee replacement; Hip replacement - after - what to ask your doctor; Knee replacement - after - what to ask your doctor; Hip arthroplasty - after - what to ask your doctor; Knee arthroplasty - after - what to ask your doctor
How long will I need to use crutches or a walker after I go home?
- How much walking can I do?
- When can I begin to place weight on my new joint? How much?
- Do I need to be careful about how I sit or move around?
- What are things that I cannot do?
- Will I be able to walk without pain? How far?
- When will I be able to do other activities, such as golf, swimming, tennis, or hiking?
- Can I use a cane? When?
Will I have pain medicines when I go home? How should I take them?
Will I need to take blood thinners when I go home? How long would it be?
What exercises can or should I do after surgery?
- Do I need to go to physical therapy? How often and for how long?
- When can I drive?
How can I get my home ready before I even go to the hospital?
- How much help will I need when I come home? Will I be able to get out of bed?
- How can I make my home safer for me?
- How can I make my home easier to get around?
- How can I make it easier for myself in the bathroom and shower?
- What type of supplies will I need when I get home?
- Do I need to rearrange my home?
- What should I do if there are steps that go to my bedroom or bathroom?
- Do I need a hospital bed?
What are the signs that something is wrong with my new hip or knee?
- How can I prevent problems with my new hip or knee?
- When should I call the provider?
How do I take care of my surgical wound?
- How often should I change the dressing? How do I wash the wound?
- What should my wound look like? What wound problems do I need to watch out for?
- When do sutures and staples come out?
- Can I take a shower? Can I take a bath or soak in the hot tub?
- When can I go back to see my dentist? Do I need to take any antibiotics before seeing the dentist?
Harkness JW, Crockarell JR. Arthroplasty of the hip. In: Azar FM, Beaty JH, Canale ST, eds. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 13th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2017:chap 3.
Mihalko WM. Arthroplasty of the knee. In: Azar FM, Beaty JH, Canale ST, eds. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 13th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2017:chap 7.