Please note, patient visitors will be limited to no more than one for the patient’s entire hospital stay or visit. Children under the age of 18 will no longer be allowed as visitors. For more information on our ongoing response to COVID-19 in Gainesville, Jacksonville, and Central Florida, visit our coronavirus website.Click to learn more
- Children use play as a way to express their fears and work out energy and anxiety.
- Play offers a normal path to continued development and growth for all children.
- Playing with familiar things helps relieve stress and normalize the hospital environment.
- Children are also able to make choices and gain a sense of control. Many choices are taken away from a child in the hospital.
- Play gives the child an opportunity to experience achievement and helps boost their self-esteem.
- Constructive play provides a healthy outlet, relieves boredom and provides reassurance for parents.
- Playrooms are open during the day for pediatric patients and families to use
- All patients and siblings must be supervised by an adult (18 years and older)
- Volunteers may be available to provide supervision when parents cannot be here
Supervised Activity Groups
- Please check the activities calendar on each floor for supervised group times
- Groups are run by a variety of trained volunteers and staff
- Children that are unable to go to the playroom can get toys and activities for their room