Please note, patient visitors will be limited to no more than one for the patient’s entire hospital stay or visit. Children under the age of 18 will no longer be allowed as visitors. For more information on our ongoing response to COVID-19 in Gainesville, Jacksonville, and Central Florida, visit our coronavirus website.Click to learn more
Lips - chapped and dry
Here are some recommendations for preventing chapped lips:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure.
- Avoid going out in dry, cold weather without putting on lip balm or lipstick.
- Try to keep the air in your home humid.
- Use a sunscreen on your lips when outside in sunny weather.
Here are some recommendations for soothing chapped and sore lips:
- Drink additional fluids in winter months.
- Treat chapped lips with beeswax and petrolatum (Vaseline).
See your health care provider if you have sores that will not heal on your lips.
Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 5.
Habif TP. Warts, herpes simplex, and other viral infections. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 12.
James WD, Berger TG, Elston DM. Cutaneous signs and diagnosis. In: James WD, Berger TG, Elston DM, eds. Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 2.