The UF Health Shands Hospital Blood and Marrow Transplant and Leukemia Service of the UF Health Shands Cancer Center uses a multidisciplinary team approach to patient care that optimizes patient outcomes and satisfaction.
Our program was the first in Florida to receive accreditation from the Foundation for Accreditation of Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation (FAHCT).
The UF Health Shands Hospital Blood and Marrow Transplant Program was established in 1981, making it the oldest in Florida. The program has performed more than 1,300 blood and marrow transplants and is one of the largest in the South east.
UF Health Shands Hospital is the first site in Florida to offer "mini" transplants. Such non-myeloablative transplants use less intensive conditioning regimens and are an alternative for thousands of cancer patients either too old or too ill to withstand transplantation using approaches that employ high doses of chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
Our medical firsts include:
- 2000: Florida's first pediatric placenta/umbilical cord blood transplant for sickle cell anemia
- 1997: Florida's first mini bone marrow transplant for lymphoma
- 1996: Florida's first adult placenta/umbilical cord blood transplant for leukemia
- 1995: Florida's first pediatric placenta/umbilical cord blood transplant for leukemia'
- 1995: Nation's third and Southeast's first placenta/umbilical cord blood bank
- 1983: Florida's first pediatric bone marrow transplant
Additional facts about the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at UF Health Shands Hospital and the UF Health Shands Cancer Center:
- Accredited hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) center (with more than 2,000 transplants)
- Large experience in stem cell collection, processing and cryopreservation
- Core center for two National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) networks:
- Blood & Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Network (2007-2011)
- Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research Network (2007-2012)
- National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) collection and transplant center
- Member of the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant (CIBMT)
- National Institute for Health (NIH) funded programs in stem cell biology and regenerative medicine research
To obtain a copy of your medical records from UF Health Bone Marrow Transplant - Shands Hospital, please contact 352-733-0972.
Pay your bill
If you have questions or wish to pay in person, please consult our billing section.
Shands hospitals and UF Physician practices accept insurance from numerous providers, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, CIGNA, Humana, Capital Health, United Healthcare, Medicaid, and state and government services. For a full list of accepted plans visit our Insurance / Billing page.
Insurance acceptance varies between physicians and locations and is subject to change. To confirm that a specific physician will accept your insurance, please contact the practice using the telephone numbers listed at the top of the page. A representative will be happy to assist you.
UF Health is tobacco-free
Help us maintain our strong commitment to patients and to promoting good health in our communities: please don't smoke, chew tobacco or use electronic cigarettes on UF Health-owned or -operated properties. Thank you.